- Week 9 Assignment – Problem-Solving Essay: Part 2
The 18th-century French writer known as Voltaire has been quoted as having said, “No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.”
When faced with a problem, what do you do to solve it?
This assignment asks you to apply a six-step problem-solving process to a specific problem scenario.
You will write a paper that presents a synthesis of your ideas about solving the problem using this systematic approach.
- Review the six-step problem-solving process outlined in the webtext.
- Read the article, The Problem-Solving Process.
- Write a 4–5 page paper in which you:
- Define the problem in the scenario that you chose in the Week 7 assignment, Problem-Solving: Part 1.
You have two jobs: one during the week from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and the other on Saturday from 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. You are taking a class that meets from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. and a second class online. You have two kids: one who plays soccer and one who is in band. You have two elderly parents who no longer drive. You have a sibling living nearby, and your other sibling lives in another state. You have two papers due in your classes the same week that one of your children has a soccer tournament and the other has a band concert. You are coaching the soccer team and are in charge of fundraising for the band. You have a goal to complete your degree in two years. Your doctor tells you that your blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight are too high and recommends several medications that cost you nearly $200 per month after your insurance co-pay.
- Analyze the problem in the scenario.
- Generate options for solving the problem in the scenario.
- Evaluate the options for solving the problem.
- Decide on the best option for solving the problem.
- Explain how you will implement the chosen solution and reflect on whether this option was the most effective.
- The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
- Address the main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
- Use the Strayer Library to find at least five academic resources.
- Use four sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment:
- Analyze potential solutions to a problem in a given scenario.