The scientific method emphasizes the use of precision, objectivity, critical thinking, careful observation, practice, repeatability, uncertainty management, and peer review, which enables the reliable collection, measurement and interpretation of clues in order to produce knowledge.
In 750- to 1,000 words, summarize how the scientific method governs the way a forensic scientist would conduct a qualitative and quantitative analysis of a suspected illegal drug sample leading to an expert opinion that the sample contains cocaine with a purity of 80%. Include the following:
- Explain the information gleaned by the forensic scientist in the process of conducting both qualitative and quantitative analysis of a suspected illegal drug sample.
- Differentiate between screening tests and confirmation tests. (Each test or technique available to the forensic scientist has its benefits and limitations.)
- Provide examples of drug screening tests/techniques and confirmation tests/techniques.
- Address the following questions:
- What combination of analytical procedures can a forensic scientist use when identifying a white powder as containing cocaine with a purity of 80% to ensure that accurate and reliable scientific results are obtained? (The conclusions and opinions expressed by forensic scientists are subject to scrutiny through the judicial process.)
- How would a forensic scientist defend his or her scientific conclusions and opinions in a court of law?
Use at least two outside research resources including academic journals to support your view.
Format your essay consistent with APA guide guidelines citing all references.
Save your assignment in the following format: Last name First Name Assignment. (Example: SmithJohn_Unit6_Project).
Submit your assignment by selecting the Unit 6: Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 6.