- Read the Sex and Gender Chapter in our OER textbook (you can also use other credible sources online to help answer the following questions):
- What is meant by the “social construction of gender”? Provide a thorough response, using sociological terms and situations.
- What is feminism? Discuss the first wave, second wave and third wave of feminism. How do feminists address sexism, institutional discrimination and the glass ceiling?
- What occupations are men likely to perform? What occupations are women likely to perform? (See pages 303-306). Compare their (men & women) earnings. Who is likely to earn more? What accounts for wage gaps between men and women? Can such gaps be corrected?
- What is the “second shift?” Explain. Culturally, is it possible to “equalize” the second shift? If so, how? For more insight into women in the workplace, check out this video about women in the workplace.
if you can’t view the videos/see blank space on your screen you will need to do the following:
- Firefox: Click the shield icon next to the web address field just to the left of your URL browser address field. Then where it says Keep Blocking, click the arrow pointing down in the drop-down menu that says Disable Protection on This Page. (You can also see this Firefox page (Links to an external site.) （https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mixed-content-blocking-firefox?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=how-does-content-isnt-secure-affect-my-safety） for more information).·
- Chrome: (You can see this Chrome page (Links to an external site.) （https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/99020?hl=en&visit_id=637211973146292873-74501840&rd=1）for more information).Click the shield icon on the right hand side of the the web address field. Then click Load Unsafe Script. The script is actually safe – CANVAS or SoftChalk sometimes block external video content.
Read and respond to others’ posts as well, keeping in mind some basic rules for netiquette (Links to an external site.) （http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html）:
- Be kind and respectful to others
- Use full sentences
- Don’t use too much jargon
- Treat others online as you wish to be treated
- Use language that supports others