For this unit’s Complete assignment, write a comprehensive scholarly essay (minimum 1500 words) in which you analyze, explain, and apply these concepts in the context of a criminal issue. This can be a hypothetical crime issue or an actual situation that you are familiar with. You must incorporate and cite, using correct APA citation format, at least four different scholarly research sources. In-text citations must be used in the body of your essay, and all research sources must be fully cited at the conclusion of your essay. Correct APA citation formats must be used.
The following elements should be included in your essay:
- Describe the concept of target backcloth and how is applies to your hypothetical or actual crime issue. Apply the concept to both victims and offenders.
- Describe the hunting methods used by criminals described in Chapter 4. Then research and discuss an actual criminal case involving one of these methods. Discuss how the offender’s modus operandi describes their hunting method.
- Discuss and explain weaknesses in journey-to-crime research and how are those weaknesses relevant to tactical and investigative police work?
- Discuss how geographic profiling might be used to develop investigative or preventative strategies for your actual or hypothetical crime issue.
- Research and discuss the concept of defensible space. Provide an evidence-based explanation of the concept and analyze if defensible space could work for would-be offenders and/or for those avoiding or attempting to thwart criminal activity in your identified crime issue.